Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Higher Ground (1898)

I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14 (NKJV)
I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven. Philippians 3:14 (NLT)
















Written by: Johnson Oatman

Music by: Charles H. Gabriel

Other songs by Oatman: “Count Your Blessings”

His hymns focused primarily on Christina growth and personal victory.

Thought Behind Hymn: “It isn’t enough to know Christ; we need to know Him better and more deeply.”

I’m pressing on the upward way,
New heights I’m gaining every day;
Still praying as I’m onward bound,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”

Lord, lift me up and let me stand
By faith on heaven’s table land,
A higher plain that I have found:
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where these abound,
My prayer, my aim is higher ground.

I want to live above the world,
Though Satan’s darts at me are hurled;
Fr faith has caught the joyful sound,
The song of saints on higher ground.

I want to scale the utmost height
And catch a gleam of glory bright;
But still I’ll pray ‘til heaven I’ve found
“Lord, lead me on to higher ground.”

Lord lift me up and let me stand
By faith on heaven’s table land,
A higher plain that I have found:
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.



Fabulous!

No comments: